The Superintendent also discussed the following issues:
- Review the return on investment from the public school system: If we can’t increase the amount of investment, how do we increase the return/success of our students?
- His current emphasis on creating well-rounded students who are literate and able to work in teams.
- The need to increase scientific and technological training, and partnering with sf.citi to begin to bring technology into the classrooms.
- Funding per pupil needs to be increased - currently at $5800.00 per student annually.
- He is proud that San Francisco is the highest performing public school district in the state of California.
- One of our challenges in San Francisco: 80% of families do not have children. Of those who do, 30% go to private schools. 75% of San Francisco public school kids come from disadvantaged and backgrounds.